Ham & Cheese Pupusas with Curtido
- 5 cups water
- 3½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ head cabbage, thinly shaved
- ½ medium jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ large carrot, grated
- ½ medium red onion, thinly shaved
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar
- 8 ounces FUD® Selecto Ham, finely diced
- 6 ounces FUD® Oaxaca Cheese, shredded (1½ cups)
- 1 ounce FUD® Cotija Grated Cheese (¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons tomato sofrito cooking base
- 2 cups masa flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Prepare Curtido: Heat medium covered saucepot with 4 cups water and 1½ teaspoons salt to a boil over high heat. Place cabbage in large bowl; pour boiling water over to cover. Let stand 10 minutes; drain.
- In large bowl, toss jalapeño, carrot, onion, cilantro and cabbage; in small bowl, whisk vinegar, oregano, sugar and remaining 1 cup water and 2 teaspoons salt. Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture; stir until well combined. Cover; refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving. Makes about 4 cups.
- Prepare Filling: In medium bowl, stir FUD® Selecto Ham, FUD® Oaxaca Cheese, FUD® Cotija Grated Cheese, and sofrito until combined. Makes about 2¼ cups.
- Prepare Dough: In separate medium bowl, stir flour and salt; with wooden spoon, gradually stir in water. With hands, knead dough in bowl 3 minutes or until smooth. If dough feels sticky, work additional flour into dough; if too dry and cracking, work in a little more water. Makes about 2 cups.
- With lightly oiled hands, form dough into 2-inch balls (about ¼ cup each); with hands, press each ball into 5-inch disk (about ¼-inch thick). Place about 3 tablespoons filling in center of each disk; bring sides of dough up over filling and pinch together to form a ball. Lightly pat balls into 5-inch disk (about ½-inch thick).
- In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. In batches, cook pupusas 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Makes 8 pupusas. Serve warm garnished with curtido.